ARIN legacy block transfer process

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Oct 2 22:18:24 UTC 2016

On 30 Sep 2016, at 1:34 PM, Bryan Fields <Bryan at bryanfields.net> wrote:

> On 9/30/16 1:22 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>> Note that you can't sell the block as an "owned asset" and have ARIN
>> recognize the change. ARIN does not recognize ownership of IP address
>> blocks, they only recognize registration and authorized agents.
>
> This would seem to be in violation of what the NSF has said about this space.
> I thought ARIN was slapped hard once before about this very thing?

NSF’s Chief Counsel provided his views on the matter, but had to subsequently
clarify that his views were based on NSF’s historic role and noted that he did not
speak for the USG on such matters (as they were now properly within the remit
of the US Department of Commerce/NTIA…  oops!) -
<https://www.arin.net/resources/legacy/NSF-Rudolph-ARIN-7NOV2012.pdf>

The agency with actual authority in these matters (NTIA) subsequently issued a
statement of the the US Government’s Internet Protocol Numbering Principles,
which noted that “the American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN) is the RIR
for Canada, many Caribbean and North Atlantic islands, and the United States
and furthermore that the USG “participates in the development of and is supportive
of the policies, processes, and procedures agreed upon by the Internet technical
community through ARIN.”
<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2012/united-states-government-s-internet-protocol-numbering-principles>

i.e. ARIN continues to enforce the community-developed policies on all resources
in the registry, and including legal undertakings where necessary to that end.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN

p.s. Note that all organizations may use ARIN Online to update their ARIN IP number
       resource records. Organizations that received number resources directly from
       ARIN have ARIN Online access via their Registration Services Agreement.
       For organizations that received resources before ARIN’s formation in December
       1997 (i.e. “Legacy Resource Holders”), ARIN has been providing, without any
       fee or registration services agreement, access to ARIN Online as well as the
       basic IP registration services in place at the time of ARIN’s formation; this does
       include the ability to submit tickets to transfer an IP address block to another party.

       Legacy Resource Holder organizations that wish to receive these basic registration
       services under a formal agreement, or wish to utilize additional services (such as
       resource certification, i.e. RPKI), and/or desire a written statement of their rights to
       their IP number resources must enter into a Registration Services Agreement.