ARIN legacy block transfer process

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Oct 2 20:56:25 UTC 2016

On 30 Sep 2016, at 12:49 PM, Bryan Fields <Bryan at bryanfields.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to find a place on ARIN's website where this is addressed, but
> coming up short.  I'm not the seller or buyer in this, but basically someone
> has a legacy block allocated by Postel and wants to sell the block as it's an
> owned asset.
>
> What's the process to get ARIN to move the admin/ownership of this?  Do they
> only need to see a valid asset purchase agreement?  There is no legacy RSA for
> this.

Bryan -

It is not required (but if they were presently under LRSA, then the transfer would
indeed be faster since the organization and IP address block would not have to
be revalidated…)

> I'm thinking of referring both parties to an experienced broker as well.

That certainly works - there is a list of several brokers available here
<https://www.arin.net/resources/transfer_listing/facilitator_list.html>
and many of them are very experienced in facilitating transfers under
a wide variety of circumstances.

> Does anyone have current process experience with this?

Yes, I seem to have some experience with these processes…

The legacy resource holder has to be validated by ARIN.  This can be
accomplished by simply making sure that the seller is a point-of-contact
on the organization which hold rights to the IP address block (and is
smart thing to do in any case, since they can then update the contacts,
correct reverse DNS servers, etc.)

You can have the source (i.e. the legacy resource holder) contact ARIN’s
hostmaster (Hostmaster Arin <hostmaster at arin.net>), or have them call us
Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM ET, Phone: +1.703.227.0660
and we’ll walk them through the organization recovery process.

Once the legacy holder has control of the organization and IP address block,
they can submit a transfer ticket at any time.  ARIN will seek documentation
behind the transfer, and will confirm that the recipient is valid.  For a recipient
in another region, we seek concurrence from the serving RIR that the recipient
is valid.

If you need any additional assistance, feel free to reach out to myself or
the ARIN registration services helpdesk.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN

p.s. Apologies for the delay in getting you this response - it has been a bit hectic
       these last 48 hours...