10G switch drops traffic for a split second

Tomi Hakala tomi.hakala at pobox.fi
Tue Nov 29 17:06:26 UTC 2016

If you have congestion on outgoing interfaces you are most likely
running out of packet buffer space on your switch. Especially campus
class switches have small buffers, 4 MB or so and it can run out during
high bursts and interface congestion. With some switches you could
alleviate problem by rearranging congested interfaces to ports with
seperate buffer pool, but you have to check with your switch vendor or
documentation if your switches have shared or split buffer pools. Or
just replace your switches with ones having deeper buffers.

Tomi