Softlayer abuse contact

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 20:03:44 UTC 2016

[ Has been coming up a lot lately. A public response may be useful, YMMV  ]

After abuse@, which many still do answer, I try the SOA (which is
really old fashioned I guess) if I don't get an answer from abuse@

;; ANSWER SECTION:
softlayer.com.        900    IN    SOA    ns1.softlayer.net.
root.softlayer.com. 2016101401 7200 600 1728000 43200

More and more blocking cases these days are also related to IP
reputation and malware infections. I'm not aware of any self service
capabilities for at least confirmation. Once you're spotted, many
application layer firewalls refuse to service your requests e.g.
webserver claiming "not allowed".

Softlayer was also acquired by IBM. Could try their SOA:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ibm.com.        86400    IN    SOA    asia3.akam.net.
hostmaster.akamai.com. 1480273175 43200 7200 604800 3600

[ I'd go with whoever owns the IP address space you are trying to
reach regardless of a packet filter or application filter ]

WHOIS queries on the domain occasionally point to someone with clue.

Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: Domain Administrator
Registrant Organization: Softlayer Technologies, Inc.
Registrant Street: 4849 Alpha Road
Registrant City: Dallas
Registrant State/Province: TX
Registrant Postal Code: 75244
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: XXXX (look it up, it's there )
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: XXXXXX

In the last few years, and when near the end of the road, the
twittersphere has proven an awesome mechanism to reach out and touch
someone. I've had 100% success there.

If you have a peering relationship, IMHO opinion it is fair game to
try them if all else fails. Most peering teams are super happy to help
get you to the right people and especially if you've tried. Helping
someone solve a problem via peering relationships has always brought a
smile to my face and made that five o'clock beer taste even better.
Good luck!

Cheers,

-M<