[c-nsp] SFP DOM SNMP Polling?

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Tue Nov 22 17:11:57 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 6:32 AM, Tim Durack <tdurack at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a vendor that does not support SFP DOM SNMP polling. They state this
> is due to EEPROM read life cycle. Constant reads will damage the SFP.

Complete and total garbage.  Reading from EEPROM and Flash both DO NOT
WEAR.  It is the erase+write cycle that wears them.  Further typical
EEPROM life cycle is ~1M erase/write cycles.  If you wrote it every
minute you could conceivably wear it out in a couple years...but thats
flat out not how it works.  The EEPROM, if any, is not going to be
used for statistics data....maybe fail counts of some kind, lifetime
(hours) maybe...that sort of thing.

> We SNMP poll SFP DOM from Cisco equipment without issue.
>
> Not heard this one before. Trying to see if there is some validity to the
> statement. Thoughts?
>
> Tim:>

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler