Here we go again.

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Sun Nov 13 07:03:18 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-09 17:54, William Herrin wrote:

> I think this discussion is premature. We can hypothesize any number of
> evils from the President Elect but until someone introduces a bill we
> can only tilt at windmills.

The president elect chose Mr Eisenach to help fill jobs in FCC and other
telecom areas of govt.

Mr Eisenach is a regular "expert witness" hired by Telus in Canada at
CRTC hearing. In last week's CRTC hearing on net neutrality, he held his
very standard pro-incumbent stance against it. And the same arguments
will be used to convicne the USA to drop net neutrality to help foster
"dynamic competition" (euphemism for "unregulated duopoly").

It is a given that discussion on banning zero rating of content in USA
will not happen.

It is highly possible that Title II reclassification of ISPs will be
revoked.

Ted Cruz tried to block the IANA re-organisation.

So the direction of where things will be going is fairly clear.

AT&T announced zero rated video (aka T0-Mobile with throttling) just
after the election so they are quite confident this won't be blocked by
FCC.  (although merger with Time Warner may be blocked).