OSPF vs ISIS - Which do you prefer & why?

Josh Reynolds josh at kyneticwifi.com
Fri Nov 11 00:00:20 UTC 2016

As cute as your impotent white knighting of one vendor is (I very much like
Juniper BTW), you're absolutely ignoring my original premise and point
because you got your panties in a wad over a potential triviality of an
internet comment - where documentation exists, should one take the time to
go through it, to find discrepancies between them.

So, if you'd like to prove your point and earn brownie points with $vendor,
on a feature by feature basis please take the time to consult documentation
of two vendors products (you can even pick the platform and subversion
release!) to refute my claim. This has nothing at all to do with the point
of my statement mind you, it's simply a sidetrack that has wasted enough
time already.

That said, glance across the landscape as a whole of all of the routing
platforms out there. Hardware AND softwsre. Which ones support bare bones
IS-IS? Which ones have a decent subset of extensions? Are they comparable
or compatible with others? The end result is a *very mixed bag*, with far
more not supporting IS-IS at all, or only supporting the bare minimum to
even go by that name in a datasheet.

Thus, my point stands. If you want as much flexibility in your environment
as you can have, you want OSPF or BGP as your IGP.