OSPF vs ISIS - Which do you prefer & why?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Nov 10 06:04:23 UTC 2016

On 10/Nov/16 04:27, John Kristoff wrote:

> I've considered leaving IPv4 on OSPF and putting IPv6 on IS-IS, but I'm
> not sure it really matters.  It might be nice to get the experience on
> the resume, but that might not be a good justification to the network
> staff and management for a production network.

When I converted an OSPF network at $old_job to IS-IS back in 2011, the
NOC were not too pleased with the idea.

Took several workshops to reassure them that we didn't all need to move
to Mars if we did this. Suffice it to say, the migration went famously,
and considering it works well, they didn't even need to touch it at all
on an ongoing basis (not that OSPF needed hand-holding).

The resistance to move is mostly borne out of fear (and a bit of
laziness to learning something new). That can be said for pretty much
anything the network has never ran before that Engineering want to
implement. Giving them leadership does the trick.

Mark.