IPv6 automatic reverse DNS

White, Andrew Andrew.White2 at charter.com
Tue Nov 1 04:14:27 UTC 2016

Hi John,

Thanks for the info and background.

One operational suggestion I have is … why link synthesis rules to a specific DNS zone?

Most larger operators of auth DNS use an IP management tool, like BT Diamond IPAM, BlueCat, or Infoblox. Oftentimes, allocations of IP space will not be on classful boundaries, yet most often reverse DNS zones are on classful boundaries.

What may be more operationally useful would be an (optional) feature in auth DNS software that would process an incoming PTR request as follows:

1.       Answer the PTR with an entry in the corresponding ip6.arpa or in-addr.arpa zone file if the PTR exists

2.       Otherwise, examine a rule set of synthetic PTR responses and answer by the rule set (e.g. 10.0.0.128 matches rule for “10.0.0.128/27” and returns PTR of 10-0-0-128.dhcp.example.com.)

3.       Otherwise, return NXDOMAIN or NOANSWER/NOERROR as appropriate

Such a ruleset could apply to forward zones as well to create the matching forward lookup.

Just my two cents!  Caveat: personal opinion and not the official position of Charter.

Andrew

Ληdrеw Whiте
Charter Network Operations - DAS DNS