ISP License in the USA?

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Tue May 31 19:58:12 UTC 2016

What you have been hearing so far is correct.  You do not need a license to be an ISP other than normal business licenses in your municipality/state.  The only thing I can think of would be if you were a voice carrier or wanted to become a CLEC which would give you better/cheaper access to local infrastructure via interconnection agreements (like local loops for DSL and duct/conduit access for building out your own fiber network).  I can tell you that the CLEC route is pretty expensive and has quite extensive regulatory hurdles at both the state and federal level.  If you are a pure data ISP (i.e. not originating voice services) running on leased access circuits there is not much more you should need to do.  Of course, you could and should ask this same question of your state's communications commission if you need a legally sound opinion on this.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL