ISP License in the USA?

STARNES, CURTIS Curtis.Starnes at
Tue May 31 19:12:07 UTC 2016

Maybe the consultant is confusing "licensing" with IP address allocations from ARIN.

Curtis Starnes
Senior Network Administrator
Granbury ISD
600 W. Bridge St. Ste. 40
Granbury, Texas  76048
(817) 408-4104
(817) 408-4126 Fax
curtis.starnes at 

OPEN RECORDS NOTICE: This email and responses may be subject to Texas Open Records laws and may be disclosed to the public upon request. 

-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces at] On Behalf Of Miles Fidelman
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 2:06 PM
To: nanog at
Subject: Re: ISP License in the USA?

On 5/31/16 2:53 PM, Dennis Burgess wrote:

> I would suggest getting a new consultant .. :)
What Dennis said.

> Lol got me!   There is nothing that I know of that you have to "license" to become a ISP in the US of A. . You do have to fill out Form 477 twice a year. :)

But only if you provide:
- facilities-based broadband services, and/or,
- provide wired or fixed wireless local exchange telephone service
- provide interconnected VoIP service
- provide facilities based wireless telephony (see

If you provide basic dial-up services, or wireless Internet over unlicensed channels - there's no licensing requirement whatever.

As Dennis said - first get a new consultant.  Look for one who can work through your service model - what you're going to be selling, to whom, using what technology(ies) - and work from there to whatever licenses (if any) that you require.

Miles Fidelman

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

More information about the NANOG mailing list