ISP License in the USA?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at
Tue May 31 19:05:56 UTC 2016

On 5/31/16 2:53 PM, Dennis Burgess wrote:

> I would suggest getting a new consultant .. :)
What Dennis said.

> Lol got me!   There is nothing that I know of that you have to "license" to become a ISP in the US of A. . You do have to fill out Form 477 twice a year. :)

But only if you provide:
- facilities-based broadband services, and/or,
- provide wired or fixed wireless local exchange telephone service
- provide interconnected VoIP service
- provide facilities based wireless telephony

If you provide basic dial-up services, or wireless Internet over 
unlicensed channels - there's no licensing requirement whatever.

As Dennis said - first get a new consultant.  Look for one who can work 
through your service model - what you're going to be selling, to whom, 
using what technology(ies) - and work from there to whatever licenses 
(if any) that you require.

Miles Fidelman

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

More information about the NANOG mailing list