ISP License in the USA?

Dennis Burgess dmburgess at
Tue May 31 18:53:08 UTC 2016

I would suggest getting a new consultant .. :)  

Possible Acronyms

College of Arts and Letters (Missouri State University; Springfield, MO)	
Cartridge Overall Length (shooting)
Client Object Access Layer
Circle of Acro Lovers
Columbus Ohio Area Local
Consolidated Operational Activities List
Customer Order Acceptance List
Common Operational Activities List (US Navy)	
Chance of a Lifetime (raffle)

Lol got me!   There is nothing that I know of that you have to "license" to become a ISP in the US of A. . You do have to fill out Form 477 twice a year. :) - 314-735-0270 x103 - dmburgess at 

-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces at] On Behalf Of Lorell Hathcock
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 1:14 PM
To: 'NANOG list' <nanog at>
Subject: ISP License in the USA?



Our owner has hired a consultant who insists that we should have an ISP license to operate in the United States.  (Like they have in other countries like Germany and in Africa where he has extensive personal experience.)


I am asking him to tell me which license we should have because I don't know of a license that we are required to have to route IP traffic to end customers.


I am familiar with CLEC status filed with our state.  But it is not a requirement to pass traffic.


He is suggesting COALS with which I am completely unfamiliar.


Can anyone tell me if there is a Texas state and/or USA Federal license for a small operator to pass IP traffic from the internet to end users (commercial and/or residential).


I am aware that there are some CALEA requirements of ISPs that seem to kick in once a CALEA request is made, but is that different from a license.




Lorell Hathcock






More information about the NANOG mailing list