ISP License in the USA?

STARNES, CURTIS Curtis.Starnes at
Tue May 31 18:35:45 UTC 2016

+1 on the SPIN, when we file our e-Rate form 470 and form 471's each year with USAC, we have to provide our carrier's SPIN on these forms.

Curtis Starnes
Senior Network Administrator
Granbury ISD
600 W. Bridge St. Ste. 40
Granbury, Texas  76048
(817) 408-4104
(817) 408-4126 Fax
curtis.starnes at 

OPEN RECORDS NOTICE: This email and responses may be subject to Texas Open Records laws and may be disclosed to the public upon request. 

-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces at] On Behalf Of Ray Orsini
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 1:32 PM
To: Dan White <dwhite at>; Lorell Hathcock <lorell at>
Cc: NANOG list <nanog at>
Subject: RE: ISP License in the USA?

Just to clarify. You don't need a SPIN (e-rate Service Provider Identification Number) to provide service to those entities. You only need a SPIN to qualify for USF/USAC funding for those entities. If they want to pay full price (which some do) you don't need the SPIN. Applying for a SPIN is extremely easy. Applying for e-rate funding, on the other hand, is usually best done via a consultant. Thankfully that's the customer's problem, not yours.

Ray Orsini – CEO
Orsini IT, LLC – Technology Consultants
P: 305.967.6756 x1009   E: ray at   TF: 844.OIT.VOIP
7900 NW 155th Street, Suite 103, Miami Lakes, FL 33016 | View My Calendar | View/Pay Your Invoices | View Your Tickets

-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces at] On Behalf Of Dan White
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 2:25 PM
To: Lorell Hathcock <lorell at>
Cc: 'NANOG list' <nanog at>
Subject: Re: ISP License in the USA?

Not familiar with the process, but look at E-rate if you want to provide service to schools, libraries and health providers.

On 05/31/16 13:14 -0500, Lorell Hathcock wrote:
>Our owner has hired a consultant who insists that we should have an ISP 
>license to operate in the United States.  (Like they have in other 
>countries like Germany and in Africa where he has extensive personal
>I am asking him to tell me which license we should have because I don't 
>know of a license that we are required to have to route IP traffic to 
>end customers.
>I am familiar with CLEC status filed with our state.  But it is not a 
>requirement to pass traffic.
>He is suggesting COALS with which I am completely unfamiliar.
>Can anyone tell me if there is a Texas state and/or USA Federal license 
>for a small operator to pass IP traffic from the internet to end users 
>(commercial and/or residential).
>I am aware that there are some CALEA requirements of ISPs that seem to 
>kick in once a CALEA request is made, but is that different from a license.

Dan White
BTC Broadband

More information about the NANOG mailing list