ISP License in the USA?

STARNES, CURTIS Curtis.Starnes at
Tue May 31 18:34:06 UTC 2016

E-Rate is more of a "discounted" rate process than a license.
I work for a mid-sized school district and apply for and are granted E-Rate funding every year.
So from the end user stand point not as a transit ISP, E-Rate would not apply.

Curtis Starnes
Senior Network Administrator
Granbury ISD
600 W. Bridge St. Ste. 40
Granbury, Texas  76048
(817) 408-4104
(817) 408-4126 Fax
curtis.starnes at 

OPEN RECORDS NOTICE: This email and responses may be subject to Texas Open Records laws and may be disclosed to the public upon request. 

-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces at] On Behalf Of Dan White
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 1:25 PM
To: Lorell Hathcock <lorell at>
Cc: 'NANOG list' <nanog at>
Subject: Re: ISP License in the USA?

Not familiar with the process, but look at E-rate if you want to provide service to schools, libraries and health providers.

On 05/31/16 13:14 -0500, Lorell Hathcock wrote:
>Our owner has hired a consultant who insists that we should have an ISP 
>license to operate in the United States.  (Like they have in other 
>countries like Germany and in Africa where he has extensive personal 
>I am asking him to tell me which license we should have because I don't 
>know of a license that we are required to have to route IP traffic to 
>end customers.
>I am familiar with CLEC status filed with our state.  But it is not a 
>requirement to pass traffic.
>He is suggesting COALS with which I am completely unfamiliar.
>Can anyone tell me if there is a Texas state and/or USA Federal license 
>for a small operator to pass IP traffic from the internet to end users 
>(commercial and/or residential).
>I am aware that there are some CALEA requirements of ISPs that seem to 
>kick in once a CALEA request is made, but is that different from a license.

Dan White
BTC Broadband

More information about the NANOG mailing list