LLDP via SNMP

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri May 27 15:55:19 UTC 2016

In a message written on Thu, May 26, 2016 at 10:16:21PM +0300, Saku Ytti wrote:
> LLDP standard itself is in my non-humble opinion broken. There are no
> guarantees that standard compliant LLDP will produce useful data.

Including inside a particular vendor's own implementation.  For
instance some junipers advertise the interface name (ge-0/0/0) and
some the description ("To Bob's ISP") for the "interface name" field
in the CLI.  So depending on the platform and version of code you
get totally different information from "show lldp neighbors".

It really makes it difficult to consume the data by script.  Lots
of special cases.

Leo Bicknell - bicknell at ufp.org