Question on peering strategies

Marty Strong marty at cloudflare.com
Tue May 24 07:39:21 UTC 2016

Typically you would use a private VLAN between you and another participant in order to connect to them separately from the public peering VLAN. You would do this instead of a PNI in a situation where you’re in a different building from the other participant making a direct fibre more expensive than the value it would bring.

A public VLAN is essentially the peering VLAN anyway, so an all participants VLAN would be a little pointless. Perhaps a VLAN shared between a couple of members *may* be useful depending on those members’ use cases, although I can’t think of one off the top of my head.

Regards,
Marty Strong
CloudFlare - AS13335
Network Engineer