SNMP "bridging"/proxy?

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Mon May 23 21:51:28 UTC 2016

This doesn't scale on a large cacti installation with hundreds of hosts and
60-second poller intervals. Cacti data input method scripts spawn a new php
worker for each data acquisition target (they do NOT use the 'spine' SNMP
poller).

Exposing the data via SNMP on the host to be monitored distributes the CPU
load individually onto each host (example: an 'extend' script in the
snmpd.conf which runs "curl http://localhost/server-status" for apache2
status and parses the results) rather than centralizing it on the cacti
host.

This allows cacti or opennms or anything else to poll the hosts to be
monitored via something that scales better than php script workers, using
the 'spine' SNMP data acquisition method and the equivalent in other snmp
polling platforms.