IPv6 Residential Deployment Survey

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sun May 22 12:36:25 UTC 2016

Definitively, please respond to the survey.

The point here is to be able to tell the ISPs, “hey why are you using /64 instead of /48 (or /56). You know that with /64, your customers can’t have different subnets in their network, for example an /64 in the SSID for guest, or different /64 for the home office and the kids ? You know that homenet will not work if you provide something smaller than /56 ? You know that only x% of ISP are using /64“, etc. …

Ideally the survey should be responded by the ISPs, but we know that many of them (even if they don’t need to provide personal data) will not do it, so customers are able to respond as well.

We will then manually try to avoid duplicate data from the same ISP, to avoid having a distorsion in the stats, or clarify the data if there are inconsistencies, etc.

At the moment we got 225 responses (57 complete), most of them right now from RIPE NCC. Some people is not filling the “complete” survey, they can come back later to complete it and click “submit”, otherwise, we will manually “close” the incomplete surveys and account only for the fields that have been submitted.

Hopefully this community can help to increase the responses from ARIN members !

Thanks a lot !

Regards,
Jordi

> On May 22, 2016, at 9:04 AM, Majdi S. Abbas <msa at latt.net> wrote:
>
> On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 04:32:11AM +0000, John Curran wrote:
>> NANOGers -
>>
>>    If you are providing residential Internet service with IPv6 (or
>>    are a customer of same), please take a moment to complete
>>    Jordi’s survey - this will help provide insight into the actual
>>    technical practices being used in residential IPv6 deployment.
>
> 	John,
>
> 	Allow me to suggest an additional survey:
>
> 	If you're a customer of a provider that currently provides
> IPv6, and are not using it, please tell us why.
>
> 	In my case, on my consumer connection at home, I cannot utilize
> IPv6 because my provider does not wish to provide more than a /64 to
> a subscriber, and my equipment vendor (Juniper) does not support DHCPv6
> PD delegation hints, so I'll always get a /64 that does not scale well
> to the >1 subnet I have internally.  (4: Managment, Media, Guest, &
> Internal.)

Majdi -

  You should definitely complete the survey accordingly…  that’s the
  kind of technical feedback that I believe Jordi is trying to collect!

/John