SNMP "bridging"/proxy?

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sat May 21 01:53:53 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 04:43:07PM -0700, Nathan Anderson wrote:
> Is anybody out there aware of a piece of software that can take data from
> an arbitrary source and then present it, using a MIB or set of OIDs of
> your choosing, as an SNMP-interrogatable device?

Many, many years ago, I wrote a fairly minimal SNMP agent in Ruby
(http://theshed.hezmatt.org/rubysnmpd/index.html), which was
explicitly designed to be easily extensible (it didn't do anything useful by
itself).  If your team's into Ruby, that might be a possibility.

Otherwise, net-snmp does come with some fairly decent extensibility
capabilities these days.  It has a variety of mechanisms by which you can
feed extra data into it, and in general I'd recommend going down that route.

- Matt