SNMP "bridging"/proxy?

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Sat May 21 00:09:22 UTC 2016

It is fairly easy to extend the snmpd on a Linux host to retrieve data from
non-SNMP sources...  For example:

http://www.adventuresinoss.com/2009/09/30/the-many-uses-of-net-snmp/

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/sect-System_Monitoring_Tools-Net-SNMP-Extending.html

Anything you can retrieve with a shell script can be turned into a
1-minute-interval cron job that outputs a text file with a number in it,
then the SNMP 'extend' parameter in the snmpd.conf can be used to 'cat' the
file.

For example something from a solar charge controller that only speaks RS485
over an RS485-to-RS232 (or USB) bridge. Or data retrieved via curl and sed.
I use this to graph WSDOT traffic driving times patterns and flows and feed
them into a charting system.

For smaller setups you can have all the shell scripts for data acquisition
on the same host that runs the snmpd.