Question on peering strategies

Nick Ellermann nellermann at broadaspect.com
Mon May 16 18:10:34 UTC 2016

Reza,
You maybe overthinking this one a bit. The economics are something to consider, however all public exchanges have different economics. With Equinix you pay pretty much a flat rate for a single 1Gbps/10Gbps link that includes the cost of facility cross-connect and public exchange access.  It is a nice one to many connection for all those various network and content networks your end users would appreciate direct connectivity. Depending on the public exchange you either have a single BGP session or a BGP session per network you are peering. Really after that, it's just BGP routing and route management. You do need to be careful about not being too overly dependent on a single public switch link, in some cases like at Equinix you may want multiple connections to redundant public exchange switches at that site. There is a balance you want to seek of number of paid upstream network transit providers you are connected to versus how many direct peering arrangements you have setup. It's not usually practical for a smaller network to have loads of BGP peers.  There are lots of good articles online about this fine balance and some good advice from experienced network operators.

To your later questions. For your simple example, if AS-a and AS-b were both already on the public IX, and the link wasn't too overly critical then using the public IX switch maybe a good first step. However as that relationship matures, they most likely in a real world example may look to split the cost of the private cross-connect. If it was mutually beneficial. There is much more to public peering and transit than the technical conversation. Most of the larger networks on the public switches won't peer privately with anyone or only with extremely larger networks. To get a provider such as this to peer both privately and on the public exchange is not a technical issue, it's more of a business overhead and management issue.
If you have a couple of quality upstream transit providers, they will be excellent failovers to a public switch outage.  Plan for the public switch to have as many problems as any upstream provider.

Sincerely,
Nick Ellermann – CTO & VP Cloud Services
BroadAspect

E: nellermann at broadaspect.com
P: 703-297-4639
F: 703-996-4443