Cost-effectivenesss of highly-accurate clocks for NTP

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon May 16 16:16:13 UTC 2016

On 05/15/2016 03:16 PM, Måns Nilsson wrote:
> ...If you think the IP implementations in IoT devices are naîve, wait
> until you've seen what passes for broadcast quality network
> engineering. Shoving digital audio samples in raw Ethernet frames is
> at least 20 years old, but the last perhaps 5 years has seen some
> progress in actually using IP to carry audio streams. (this is
> close-to-realtime audio, not file transfers, btw.)

Close to realtime is a true statement.  Using an IP STL
(studio-transmitter link) has enough latency that the announcer can no
longer use the air signal as a monitor.

And the security side of things is a pretty serious issue; just ask a
major IP STL appliance vendor about the recent hijacking of some of
their customers' IP STL devices.... yeah, a random intruder on the
internet hijacked several radio stations' IP STL's and began
broadcasting their content over the radio.  Not pretty.  I advise any of
my remaining broadcast clients that if they are going to an IP STL that
they put in a dedicated point to point IP link without publicly routable
IP addresses.

Digital audio for broadcast STL's is old tech; we were doing G.722/G.723
over switched-56 in the early 90's.  But using a public-facing internet
connection with no firewalling for an IP STL appliance like the Barix
boxes and the Tieline boxes and similar? That borders on networking
malpractice.

> ... But, to try to return to "relevant for NANOG", there are actual
> products requiring microsecond precision being sold. And used. And
> we've found that those products don't have a very good holdover. ...
Television broadcast is another excellent example of timing needs; thanks.

Valdis mentioned the scariest thing.... the scariest thing I've seen
recently?  Windows NT 3.5 being used for a transmitter control system,
within the past five years.  I will agree with Valdis on the scary
aspects of the public safety communications Mel mentioned. Thanks, Mel,
for the educational post.