NIST NTP servers

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Fri May 13 14:38:58 UTC 2016

Lamar,

You make it sound like TXCOs are rare, but they're actually quite common in most single board computers. True, you're probably not gonna find them in the $35 cellular-based SBCs, but since these temperature compensated oscillators cost less than a dollar each in quantity, they're quite common in most industrial species for well under $100.

An Ovenized XCO is absolutely not required for IT-grade NTP servers. If you need sub-microsecond  low-jitter leading-edge clocks, for BITS timing of SONET or radio networks for example, then an OXCO is helpful. But NTP itself is not that accurate. NTP can usually maintain time to only within tens of milliseconds over the public Internet, and can only achieve better than one millisecond accuracy in local area networks under ideal conditions.

 -mel