NIST NTP servers

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Wed May 11 19:15:37 UTC 2016

Well, if you really want to learn about the NTP servers a target is using
you can always just sent them a regular NTP timing query (mode 3) and just
read off the IP address in the reference ID field of the response (mode 4).

Reference ID reveals the target that the client is sync'd to.

If you do this over and over as the client changes the servers it sync's
to, you learn all the servers.

Or if you are really keen you can use our "kiss-of-death" attack to learn
all the servers a client is willing to take time from. See sections V.B-V.C
of our paper.

https://eprint.iacr.org/2015/1020.pdf

Sharon

--