NIST NTP servers

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Wed May 11 20:15:48 UTC 2016

Cellular carriers also use GPS timing for many reasons that are not readily
apparent at the layer 3 router/IP/BGP network level. One big need is RF
related, back-to-back sector antenna frequency re-use with GPS synced
timing on the remote radio heads, such as an ABAB configuration on a tower
or rooftop site.

The same with some much less costly near consumer grade WISP radio
platforms and PTP radio systems nowadays.

In such a configuration the GPS timing signal from the local GPS receiver
(small cone shaped or puck antennas at the site) is actually the primary,
and whatever NTP-based GPS signal the network node might have access to is
secondary.