NIST NTP servers

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Wed May 11 14:27:47 UTC 2016

Andreas,

Most data centers will require a remotely positioned NTP server, which is actually easier and cheaper than a remotely located active GPS antenna. I have placed the $300 commercial NTP servers in an environmental box on the roof, powering t by PoE, without problems.

You don't need a redundant network either, nor redundant power. Just plunk down two of these gizmos, or as I suggested elsewhere, deploy one or more CDMA, GSM, or WWV-based clocks, for as much local infrastructure and signal source diversity as you like (I sourced some of these units earlier in the thread, all well less than $1K each. You pay more for diversity, but you get more too.

In response to the several DIYers on this thread: Anyone who thinks they're building a raspberry pi-based GPS NTP server for just $150 is kidding themselves. They forgot to include their labor, which is worth far more than the $300 for a commercial unit. The same goes for people who complain about even the minimal $300 price, forgetting that a commercial product has to pay for marketing, support, and make a profit.

External NTP has two kinds of vulnerabilities: the ones we know, and the ones we don't. The ones we know are serious enough the pat the ones we don't should be considered with respect. Maybe diversity in Internet sources is a cure, maybe it isn't. But diverse RF sources is demonstrably more secure than the Internet.

My point stands: secure external RF NTP sources are so plentiful that relying on Internet NTP is just plain crazy.

 -mel beckman