NIST NTP servers

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Tue May 10 21:14:26 UTC 2016

Boss: So how did a hacker get in and crash our accounting server, break our VPNs, and kill our network performance?

IT guy: He changed our clocks.

Boss: How did he do that?

IT guy: We have an opening in our firewall that permits time clock packets to come from anywhere in the world, under certain conditions.

Boss: Why didn’t you block that?

IT guy: Well, we filtered to only accept clock settings from a trusted source, but the hacker lied and pretended to be that protected source.

Boss: I thought encryption was supposed to prevent that.

IT guy: Time clock packets aren’t encrypted. There is no standard for that.

Boss: Not even a password?

IT guy: Yes, there is a sophisticated authentication mechanism, but it doesn’t work.

Boss: So how could we have prevented this?

IT guy: We could have purchased our own time server synchronized to the U.S. Department of Standards atomic clock via Global Positioning System satellites using a special antenna. Then we wouldn’t need time from the Internet.

Boss: That sounds expensive. How much are we talking?

IT guy: $300

Boss: You’re fired.