sub $500-750 CPE firewall for voip-centric application

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Fri May 6 19:20:02 UTC 2016

But bug reports and response can be measured, at least by those with support contracts for the commercial products. I found PFSense less reliable by a quite large margin than commercial offerings. Plus when I have a problem, I can open a case and somebody else is working on it (because I paid them to), and they usually solve the problem without a lot more involvement on my part.

I tried PFSense Premium Support once when it first launched, and they simply didn’t have their act together. Also, the cheapest PFSense support contract cost nearly as much as an entire commercial firewall including hardware and a year support! Maybe they’ve improved. I don’t have time to research it though, as the commercial products are quite reasonably priced and generally superior in features. I’ve also looked at the PFSense appliances for sale, and they are not remarkable (either in price or features). I think what store.pfsense.org<http://store.pfsense.org> demonstrates is that the commercial offerings are justified in what they charge, since it’s about equal to what PFSense hardware costs.

Then there is the available skills problem. It’s much easier to find a Cisco, Dell, Juniper, or whatever-conversant tech than it is to find someone facile in PFSense.

It’s a valiant effort, but to me the value differential just isn’t making sense for PFSense.

 -mel