Why the US Government has so many data centers

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Tue Mar 22 16:11:11 UTC 2016

On Tue, 22 Mar 2016, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> But when some Armenian script kiddie DDoSing Netflix takes down your TSA
> terrorist lookup service, and you come to me asking why the plane blew up,
> I'm going to tell you "because you fucking ignored my written advice on
> the matter", while I'm packing my desk.

DOCI is about physical data center opimization, not about network or
service availability.

DCOI metrics:
- Energy metering
- Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE)
- Virtualization
- Server Utilization & Automated Monitoring
- Facility Utilization

Why do you have two circuits with only 40% utilization. The auditor says
that's waste, and you only need one circuit at 80% utilization for half
the cost.