Wireless (WiFi) MOS equivalent?

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Mon Mar 21 11:35:52 UTC 2016

Jim,

There isn't such an animal and that's because the notion of an opinion
score for voice is pretty easy to quantify, but a good WiFi experience
depends a lot more on what you find to be acceptable for your deployment
and that normally depends a lot on your budget.  What we do is determine
what our target metrics are and then measure to that, most of the
commercial APs and controllers can provide all this data, average speed,
clients per AP, average RSSI, number of associations and auths per minute,
and error counts.  The reason you can't just get an industry standardized
score is that while most conferences are happy if the average PHY speed is
over 6 mbps that's clearly bad in an enterprise service.

Scott Helms
Chief Technology Officer
ZCorum
(678) 507-5000