Why the US Government has so many data centers

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 05:21:01 UTC 2016

So...

Before I go on, I have not been in Todd's shoes, either serving nor directly supporting an org like that.

However, I have indirectly supported orgs like that and consulted at or supported literally hundreds of commercial and a few educational and nonprofit orgs over the last 30 years.

There are corner cases where distributed resilience is paramount, including a lot of field operations (of all sorts) on ships (and aircraft and spacecraft), or places where the net really is unstable.  Any generalizations that wrap those legitimate exceptions in are overreaching their valid descriptive range.

That said, the vast bulk of normal world environments, individuals make justifications like Todd's and argue for distributed services, private servers, etc.  And then do not run them reliably, with patches, backups, central security management, asset tracking, redundancy, DR plans, etc.

And then they break, and in some cases are and will forever be lost.  In other cases they will "merely" take 2, 5, 10, in one case more than 100 times longer to repair and more money to recover than they should have.

Statistically these are very very poor operational practice.  Not so much because of location (some) but because of lack of care and quality management when they get distributed and lost out of IT's view.

Statistically, several hundred clients in and a hundred or so organizational assessments in, if I find servers that matter under desks you have about a 2% chance that your IT org can handle supporting and managing them appropriately.

If you think that 98% of servers in a particular category being at high risk of unrecoverable or very difficult recovery when problems crop up is acceptable, your successor may be hiring me or someone else who consults a lot for a very bad day's cleanup.

I have literally been at a billion dollar IT disaster and at tens of smaller multimillion dollar ones trying to clean it up.  This is a very sad type of work.

I am not nearly as cheap for recoveries as for preventive management and proactive fixes.

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone