collectd as alternative to RTG for high-resolution polling and long term storage?

Louis Kowolowski louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Wed Mar 16 19:35:26 UTC 2016

On Mar 16, 2016, at 11:45 AM, Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would anyone care to share their experience using collectd as an
> alternative to rtg for high-resolution polling of interface traffic and
> long term storage?
>
> I am investigating the various options for large data set size, lossless
> long term traffic charting (not RRAs which lose precision over time). One
> possible use is precision 95th billing.
>
> https://collectd.org/

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that collectd uses RRD files for the backend, which you said you don’t want.

You might check out Grafana (http://grafana.org/ <http://grafana.org/>). Its based off graphite and uses something like opentsdb or influxdb for the backend. I think this is probably more what you’re looking for.

--
Louis Kowolowski                                louisk at cryptomonkeys.org <mailto:louisk at cryptomonkeys.org>
Cryptomonkeys:                                   http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/ <http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/>

Making life more interesting for people since 1977