Why the US Government has so many data centers

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Mon Mar 14 21:11:14 UTC 2016

--- sean at donelan.com wrote:
From: Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com>
On Mon, 14 Mar 2016, Scott Weeks wrote:

> It's all phunny money.  Real economics are not even
> considered.  At all.

: And what makes your think the Data Center Optimization
: Initiative is any different, when they are counting
: single servers instead of data centers?

I don't think it's different.  It's more of the same
insanity.

: If it was a rational, coherent plan; that would be great
: Instead I see lots of people spending years looking for
: servers, and writing reports about counting servers, and
: moving servers from on room to another room.

That's the world of top-heavy management.  Not just in the
gov't, but in many orgs.  It's just worse in the gov't due
to the sheer size of the workforce there.  It's not rational
and there're just too many middle management people fighting
for their own increase in scope of authority for coherency.

: What's the return on investment counting paperclips?

This is the phunny money comment.  In the real world we
deal with real ROI or the business fails.  In their world,
there is no such thing.

: Declare victory now.

They did that a long time ago in other areas.  Apparently,
this is just the next one...  ;-)

scott