DataCenter color-coding cabling schema

Eygene Ryabinkin rea+nanog at grid.kiae.ru
Mon Mar 14 11:42:44 UTC 2016

Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 05:10:26PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Whatever you do, please do not use Flag labels on cables… I HATE
> THEM. They are a constant source of entanglement and snags. They
> often get knocked off as a result or mangled beyond recognition,
> rendering them useless.

Hadn't seen that for ages, using Brother P-touch printers for
small amounts of work and Avery Zweckform paper + laser printing
for large cable installations.  This stuff (Avery paper),
  http://computing.kiae.ru/~rea/wiring-porn-2.jpeg
lives already for 5+ years and outlived many replacements of
spine modules (that's InfiniBand fabric) and other operations
without labels being ruined in any way.
--
Eygene Ryabinkin, National Research Centre "Kurchatov Institute"

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be
a violent psychopath who knows where you live.