Why the US Government has so many data centers

Mark T. Ganzer ganzer at spawar.navy.mil
Fri Mar 11 19:57:29 UTC 2016

Note that I an not answering in any sort of "official" capacity....but I
will instead ask this for your consideration:  Do servers in "test,
stage, development, or any other environment" really need to have the
same environmental, power and connectivity requirements that
"production" servers have?   And should a dev lab containing a couple of
servers and a few developers really be called a "datacenter"?

-Mark Ganzer
SSC-PAC San Diego Code 82700
Office/Voice mail: 619-553-1186   NOC: 619-553-5881