Why the US Government has so many data centers

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Fri Mar 11 21:40:09 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces at nanog.org] On Behalf Of Sean Donelan

The U.S. government definition of data center is a bit like defining
a warehouse as any room containing a single ream of paper.  Yes,
warehouses are used to store reams of paper; but that doesn't make
every place containing a ream of paper a warehouse.

--- Steve.Mikulasik at civeo.com wrote:

This is a great way to create a mess of rules. Need a server
for running an app locally to a site? You need XYZ standards
that make no sense for your deploy and increase the cost by
10 times.

Our server guys always try to set standards, then they run
into a deploy where the needs are simple, but the standards
make it significantly uneconomical.

Been there, done that, got many t-shirts.  There is no thought
at all to economics.  None.  People that have absolutely no
experience in networking or computers (read: can barely operate
M$ computers) make these rules/definitions/processes.  It's not
even sausage when they're done.  It's post-digested sausage.
For example, read about the OPM fiasco:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Personnel_Management_data_breach

I'm one of those 21.5 million people.  Fingerprints, SSN,
address, etc, etc, etc.

scott