Why the US Government has so many data centers

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 18:21:31 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:
> On 12 Mar 2016, at 0:03, Sean Donelan wrote:
>
>> The U.S. Government has an odd defintion of what is a data center, which
>> ends up with a lot of things no rational person would call a data center.
>

> There's also a case to be made that governmental organizations really
> oughtn't to have servers just lying around in random rooms, and that those
> rooms are de facto government data centers, whether those who're responsible
> for said rooms/servers know it or not . . .

because .... at least:
  o safe handling of media is important (did the janitor just walk off
with backup tapes/ disks/etc?)
  o 'a machine under your desk' is not a production operation.
     (if you think it is, please stop, think again and move that
service to conditioned power/cooling/ethernet)

I'm sure there are other reasons, but honestly those 2 are great starters...