AW: Cogent - Google - HE Fun

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Mar 11 07:52:55 UTC 2016

On 10/Mar/16 17:25, Jon Lewis wrote:

> My guess is that GOOG is playing peering chicken with Cogent on "the
> IPv6 Internet" because doing so is low impact.  Doing this with v4
> routing would be far more painful to both GOOG and single-homed Cogent
> customers (probably make the news and make one or both look bad).
> Doing this with v6 keeps it off in the shadows...both parties know its
> an issue, but its likely not seriously impacting anyone yet.  GOOG
> likely thinks they're big enough and their content desirable enough,
> that Cogent should peer with them.  Cogent clearly disagrees.  I'm
> sure GOOG would prefer SFI with Cogent for v4 and v6...but they're
> working on getting v6 first.

Assuming the IPv6 traffic is traversing the same physical ports as IPv4
between both networks, it is actually unnecessary pain to not pass IPv6
traffic across their interconnect relationship, unless removal of IPv6
peering lowers traffic utilization significantly to negate the need for
Google to pay a higher rate to Cogent, and/or delay physical port speed
upgrades.

Mark.