Internet Exchanges supporting jumbo frames?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Mar 10 16:21:25 UTC 2016

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016, Niels Bakker wrote:

> You're wrong here.  The IXP switch platform cannot send ICMP Packet Too
> Big messages.  That's why everybody must agree on one MTU.

"Someone" should do an inventory of the market to find out how many
commonly used platforms limit MRU to less than 9180 (L3), if MTU is set to
1500.

Because if most platforms do not limit MRU, then the impact of MTU
mismatch on the peering LAN is actually a lot less than otherwise.

However, I stand by my earlier statement that we need to include MTU/MRU
in ND messages, so that this can be negotiated on a LAN where not all
devices support large MTU.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se