finding whois servers, was .pro whois registry down?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Mar 10 16:20:02 UTC 2016

John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

> I've set up <domain>.ws.sp.am (that's ws for Whois Server) which is
> updated every day from a variety of sources so it's pretty accurate.
> It's had the right server for pro.ws.sp.am all along.

It would be extra super helpful if every entry were a wildcard, so you
could look up (say) example.com.ws.sp.am and get a CNAME for the right
whois server. The reason for this is that the relevant whois server is not
always keyed off just the TLD, and sometimes the TLD doesn't provide a
referral. A particular case I know of is ac.uk vs. uk. You could have

*.uk.ws.sp.am.    CNAME whois.nic.uk.
*.ac.uk.ws.sp.am. CNAME whois.ja.net.

Then I could look up cambridge.ac.uk.ws.sp.am and
cambridge.net.uk.ws.sp.am and get the right pointer in each case with a
single DNS lookup.

Tony.
Southeast Fitzroy: Northerly 5 or 6, becoming variable 4 in north and west.
Rough becoming moderate later. Mainly fair. Good.