Internet Exchanges supporting jumbo frames?

Kurt Kraut listas at kurtkraut.net
Wed Mar 9 23:58:08 UTC 2016

Hello folks,

First of all, thank you all for this amazing debate. So many important
ideas were exposed here and I wish we keep going on this. I've seen many
opposition to my proposal but I still remain on the side of jumbo frame
adoption for IXP. I'm pretty confident there is no need for a specific MTU
consensus and not all IXP participants are obligated to raise their
interface MTU if the IXP starts allowing jumbo frames.

One of the reasons I'm so surprised with concerns about compatibility and
breaking the internet I've seen here is the offers I get from my IP transit
providers: half of them offered me jumbo frame capable ports by default, it
wasn't a request. When this subject became important to me and I open
support tickets, half of them replied something like 'You don't need to
request it. From our end the max MTU is X'. The lowest X I got was 4400 and
the highest 9260 bytes. All my Tier-1 providers already provided me jumbo
frames IP transit. Even my south american IP Transit provider activated my
link with 9k MTU by default.

So we have Tier-1 backbones moving jumbo frames around continents, why in a
controlled L2 enviroment that usually resides in a single building and
managed by a single controller having jumbo frames is that concerning?

Best regards,

Kurt Kraut