.pro whois registry down?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Mar 9 22:53:57 UTC 2016

Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:

> On 03/09/2016 01:24 PM, Bryan Holloway wrote:
> > Anyone else noticing that the .pro TLD is failing for some things, and
> > their WHOIS registry appears to be unavailable?
>
> The address records for whois.dotproregistry.net are missing.

Well, it depends how you find the .pro whois servers, and I am pleased
that my recent changes to FreeBSD whois handle this case OK.

If you use pro.whois-servers.net aka whois.registrypro.pro the connection
times out. (It is sad that the often excellent whois-servers.net doesn't
work as well as it used to.)

If you use whois.nic.pro then it works. (This is the standard name
required for new gTLDs.)

If you follow the referral from whois.iana.org to whois.afilias.net then
it works.

More on whois at http://fanf.livejournal.com/140505.html

Tony.
East Dogger, Fisher, German Bight: Southeasterly 4 or 5. Slight or moderate.
Fog patches for a time. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.