Internet Exchanges supporting jumbo frames?

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Mar 9 22:21:43 UTC 2016

Saku Ytti wrote:
> Member may puke L2 loop to IXP, you must have some channel to deal
> with your customers.

First, mac filters.  Second, if someone l2 loops and it causes problems
because of hardware failure on our side, we reserve the right to pull
connectivity:

https://www.inex.ie/technical/maintenance

> In the case of emergencies, INEX reserves the right to perform
> critical maintenance on a 24x7x365 basis without prior notification
> to INEX members. Emergencies are defined as situations where:
[...]
> - member port misconfiguration or hardware/software bug causes loss of
> service or down-time for other INEX members, in the potential
> situation where this is not prevented by INEX port security measures

Fortunately, it's only rarely that this happens.

Third, someone puking an l2 loop to the IXP is a problem which may
affect the ixp infrastructure.  This is not the case when people muck up
their MTU config.  There is a demarcation line here:  one is an IXP
problem; the other is not.

Nick