Internet Exchanges supporting jumbo frames?

Kurt Kraut listas at kurtkraut.net
Wed Mar 9 14:59:22 UTC 2016

Hi Mike,

The adoption of jumbo frames in a IXP doesn't brake IPv4. For an ISP, their
corporate and residencial users would still use 1,5k. For datacenters,
their local switches and servers are still set to 1,5k MTU. Nothing will
brake.  When needed, if needed and when supported, from a specific server,
from a specific switch, to a specific router it can raise the MTU up to the
max MTU supported by IXP if the operator know the destination also supports
it, like in the disaster recovery example I gave. For IPv6, the best MTU
will be detected and used with no operational effort.

For those who doesn't care about it, an IXP adopting jumbo frames wouldn't
demand any kind of change for their network. They just set their interfaces
to 1500 bytes and go rest. For those who care like me can take benefit from
it and for that reason I see no reason for not adopting it.

Best regards,

Kurt Kraut