remote serial console (IP to Serial)

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Tue Mar 8 18:36:59 UTC 2016

On 3/8/16 10:06 AM, Stephen Satchell wrote:
> On 03/08/2016 07:30 AM, greg whynott wrote:
>>   I'd like to purchase a IP to
>> Serial port device I can use for each location in the event I lock myself
>> out.   The requirement would be an Ethernet port,  a serial port,  and
>> SSH.
>
> I've used Cisco 2500 routers for this type of service, using the AUX
> port and a roll-over cable to connect to the target device.  I'm talking
> 2501s mostly, not the 2511 or 2508, unless you need to control more than
> one device at a specific location.
>
> Ethernet, AUX port, SSH, firewall.  Updates are sketchy, but these are
> mature devices.

We use the small opengears for small sites acm5500 for ethernet and serial.

Used to use cisco 25xx 26xx but those are long in the tooth and not
fast. stopped using  avocent because of the value proposition.

I have experimented with raspberry pi for smaller oob server (with
appropriate usb serial breakout ) e.g. digi edgeport box for 8 serials
or ftdi usb serial adapters rather tha stand-alone pc which is what we
use for larger oob/utility server/router. it's considerably smaller than
the rackable equivalent.