IPV6 planning

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Mar 8 18:35:55 UTC 2016

Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> writes:
>> On Mar 7, 2016, at 16:01 , Alarig Le Lay <alarig at swordarmor.fr> wrote:
>>
>> It’s not exactly specific to Windows, dhcpcd use a something like that
>> (my IPv6 is 2a00:5884:8316:2653:fd40:d47d:556f:c426). And at least,
>> there is a RFC related to that, https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7217.
>
> Yes, but in the case of Windows, that happens with SLAAC without DHCP.

Yes, and SLAAC is what rfc7217 is about

> TTBOMK, this is unique to windows.

Nope.  See for example the stable_secret setting in
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt

But Linux doesn't create this in addition to the EUI-64 derived
address.  It creates in instead.  And it won't happen by default.  Only
if you configure a secret. Except for weird interfaces without any
EUI-64 identifier, like raw IP interfaces, which will use this code to
support SLAAC.

How does Windows manage to *use* three addresses? I can understand how
the rfc7217 address and the privacy address can be use for different
purposes, but what do they use the EUI-64 address for?

Bjørn