Thank you, Comcast.

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Mar 7 16:06:16 UTC 2016

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Mike Hammett" <nanog at ics-il.net>

> I think you'd be hard pressed to find more than a tenth of a percent of people
> attempt to run their own DNS server. Some do because they think it'll be better
> in some way. Rare is the occasion where anything user configured would
> outperform a local DNS server managed by the ISP that does no form of trickery.

I suspect it's higher than that, because of the fraction of edge routers which
do DNS masquerading.  Since that caches, I'm assuming it's a recursor, rather
than merely a pass-through, though I suppose it might be implementation
dependent.

And *most* eyeball customer resolver servers engage in search stupidity now,
don't they? :-)

Cheers,
-- jra