Real world power consumption of a 7604-S or 7606-S

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Tue Jun 28 05:37:20 UTC 2016

On 6/27/16 5:35 PM, Eric Kuhnke wrote:
> Yes, very much agreed, part of the reason why I'm looking to do the
> watts per linecard calculation is to illustrate how it's not healthy
> except in certain places. As an edge aggregation device in a very
> small city in a rural western US state where the electricity is 6
> cents/kWh, the 24x7 load from a 7604 that eats 950W with supervisors
> and a 6724SFP linecard is not so terrible. In this case the colo
> space for a 42U rack is sometimes literally free.
>
> In a IX point/datacenter/colocation environment where rack and power
> costs real money, not so much.

2 x ( 4 x 10Gig)  linecards is really as fast as it goes no over-subscribed.

It's been rather a long time or possibly never since that platform was
cutting edge on a PPS/Watt basis.

Today at roughly double the power consumpution per slot you can have
between 16 and 36 hundred gig ports or 48 x 10gig at half the power
consumption.