IP and Optical domains?

Jason Iannone jason.iannone at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 15:56:56 UTC 2016

The IP and Transport groups are customers of each other.  When I need
a wire, I ask the Transport group to deliver a wire.  This is pretty
simple division of labor stuff.  Transport has the intimate knowledge
of the layer 1 infrastructure and IP has intimate knowledge of
services.  Sure there is information share, but I don't need to assign
wavelengths or protection groups or channels.  I don't need to know if
I'm getting an OTU or some other lit service (except when I do need to
know).  We use clear jargon to order services from each other.
"Please deliver two diverse, unprotected circuits between cilli1 and
cilli2."  If I want LACP or spanning-tree, I want OTU or another means
of ensuring L2 tunneling, so I either predefine these requirements
before we start our relationship or I explicitly order it.

When I think of converging IP and Transport, I think of combining the
extraordinary depth of knowledge required by each group's individual
contributors.  You just turned your 100k employee into a 175k
employee.  On top of that, add that we're all becoming software
developers and you've got a three horned unicorn.  In the end I guess
this is the cycle of convergence to distribution and back writ HR.